I’m pretty sure that being the recently qualified working woman that I am, I now classify as a grown up. I’m not really the kind of grown up I want to be though. I do well at being the typical grown up of the ‘nought-ies’, but I want to be something a little different. A little older fashioned. A little more fifties housewife perhaps…
Having left home four years ago, I am capable of performing the basic tasks necessary to run a (student) household. I can use the most basic function of a washing machine, cook meals with all five food groups in them, vacuum and make beds (fitted sheets, please!). For many adults my age this is enough. Not for me though. It makes me sad to see the traditional housewife fade away, when she was what I still want to be.
I have just moved back to my hometown, and being back with old family friends (and my Mama!) again, I feel I have been blessed with a second chance to learn the tricks of the trade from women who have conquered the art of ‘housewifery’.
So I am starting this little project. Each week I will try to master a new housewife-style task, whether it be learning to bake the perfect sponge, do hospital corners, or darn a pair of socks (I'm hoping that the beautiful experienced housewives I know will share their skills and secrets with me!).
So, today begins my journey to becoming a figurative housewife, who knows how to cook, clean, mend, iron and sew. Who is talented in the areas of home-keeping and ‘people-keeping’ and who needs nothing more than a cute high waisted apron to conquer the world, one homemade scone at a time.
No comments:
Post a Comment